Frequently Asked Questions
1) What if I don’t have good enough balance for paddleboarding?
- This is participants greatest concern before booking with us! AWS uses wide, stable boards that are suitable for the beginner level. With the proper instruction and tips from our guides, participants gain comfort in a progression of controlling the board from sitting or kneeling to (eventually) standing. You don’t need to consider yourself an athletic person to try it out! However, if you are highly concerned about your balance on land you may want to schedule a private lesson with us first, before trying a fitness class or day trip.
2) What are the requirements to participate in activities with AWS?
- Safety is our number one priority, and for this reason AWS has a list of essential eligibility requirements for all types of participation, including
3) What should I bring to my class, lesson or day trip?
- Come prepared with:
- signed liability waiver and declaration of health form (or arrive early to complete beforehand)
- swimsuit and (optional) rash guard to wear under wetsuit
- drinking water
- personal medications (ie- asthma inhalor, epi-pen)
- camera (waterproof is ideal; we provide deck bags but do not guarantee dry gear)
- warm clothing for before/after activity
4) What is your cancellation policy?
- Cancellation policy for all lessons, classes, and half/full day trips: Cancellations or re-booking made greater than 24 hours in advance will receive a full refund. Customers will be charged for no-shows and cancellations made within 24 hours of scheduled service.
- Cancellation policy for races: No refunds will be given.
5) Will my activity be cancelled due to rain, wind or snow?
- We will be there, rain (snow!) or shine! However, If weather or wind conditions make paddling session unsafe, we will re-book or refund customers.
- We will do our best to notify participants at least an hour in advance, via the contact phone number provided, about cancellations due to weather. Due to the unpredictable nature of Alaska’s weather, windy or wet conditions may necessitate the cancellation of a class, lesson or day trip once everyone arrives or even midway through the scheduled session. Ultimately we will make our decisions with participant safety being the number one priority.
6) Where do I locate your waiver and declaration of health forms?
- Maximize your time on the water: Familiarize yourself with our Waiver and Health Declaration forms prior to your class, lesson or day trip. Print and sign on the day of your booking.
Waiver Form and Declaration of Health – required for all activities: Click here to view/download the paperwork
AWS operates under Municipality of Anchorage and Alaska State Parks permits. We are passionate about promoting practice of safe recreation on the water; All clients are required to utilize a leash and PFD (personal flotation device).