We are committed to offering quality race events to local paddleboard enthusiasts at an affordable price.
PAST RACE RESULTS
Our 2nd annual SUP ‘n RUN event is Sunday, July 23rd at Little Campbell Lake (Kincaid Park)
This year we have 4 race options and the events will be spaced so that you can participate in all of them, if you wish!
- 2 mile paddle-only
- SUP ‘n RUN: 1 mile paddle followed by a 4 mile trail run
- 1/2 mile recreational (untimed) costume race
- 1/2 mile recreational (untimed) SUP with PUP race (*all dogs must have a PFD to participate)
Race Entry Fees
• SUP n RUN*: $40 per person for bring your own gear; $50 per person with gear rental; $70 for teams of 2
• 2 mile SUP*: $30 per person for bring your own gear; $40 per person with gear rental
• 1/2 mile Costume Race: $10 per person (bring your own gear)
• 1/2 mile SUP with PUP: $10 per person (bring your own gear)
*Promo code for racers who wish to participate in both the SUP ‘n RUN and 2 mile SUP races: Enter “doublefun” at check-out for $10 off!Book online now!
BOARD RENTAL UPDATE:
Alaska Wilderness SUP is sold out of SUP rentals for the event.
When you go to book, “with gear” or “BYO Board” means that you will bring your own personal gear (or rental from an outside company) to the event.
The following companies have graciously committed to renting out paddleboards at *discounted* prices to racers. It is your responsibility to arrive on race day with your own paddleboard, paddle, leash, and life vest in order to participate. Contact these companies directly if AWS is sold out of rentals for race day.
Alaska Raft and Kayak: (907) 561-7238
Adventure Guru Alaska: (907) 205-7205
REI: (907) 272-4565
Alaska Paddleboard Guru: (907) 250-4685
PowderHound Ski Shop: (907) 783-2525
Each racer in the SUP ‘n Run event is strongly recommended to carry their own personal bear spray while running the trail course. The Kincaid Park trail area is known for bear and moose sightings and all racers should be prepared with what to do in the event of a wildlife encounter. We will have volunteers along the course with bear spray and first aid kids, but we still recommend that each racer arrive and compete with their own bear spray protection.
RACE PACKET PICK UP:
4-6 pm on Saturday July 22nd: We highly recommend you come pick up your race bib and swag the night before the event! (However, if you aren’t able to, arrive early Sunday to do so). Bib pick-up will be at the race venue, Little Campbell Lake in Kincaid Park. Bring your SUP and we’ll set up some buoys so you can practice your turns and get racing tips on Saturday evening!
RACE DAY SCHEDULE:
7:30am-8:30am: All racers need to check-in at our registration tent at Little Campbell Lake, regardless of whether you already have your race packet/bib. Boards must be staged in the transition area by 8:45am for all racers.
9am: 2 mile Paddle Race send-off, followed by the SUP ‘n RUN race as soon as the 2 mile race finishes. The costume and SUP with PUP races will be sent off after the SUP ‘n RUN event. The exact start times are dependent on when the last racers in the prior race finish, so we are asking ALL racers to arrive at the venue prior to the 9am start of the first race. The races should go pretty quickly!
We will have an awards ceremony following the last race & will be giving away prizes, so be sure to stick around!
We are “informally” meeting at Double Shovel Cider Company for a Kombucha / Cider social after the event! (502 W. 58th Avenue in Anchorage)
Special Thanks to our Race Sponsors:
- 2017 Updated Course Map coming soon!
- All racers are required to wear a personal flotation device (PFD) and leash while on the water.
- All dogs are required to wear a personal flotation device (PFD) for the SUP with PUP race.
- AWS will be renting paddleboards out for the event on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will also be partnering with other local businesses to get everyone outfitted with gear. However, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure that your gear is pre-arranged for the event.
Pre-race SUP Clinic with Hailey Driver
Date and time: TBD
Born and raised in Alaska, Girdwood resident Hailey Driver has taken her passion for paddle boarding from recreation to competitive racing in her four years on the water. Her love for competition and travel has brought her to some of the largest races in the world such as the Carolina Cup and the Columbia Gorge Paddle Challenge. For the 2016 season she is riding for Starboard Paddle Boards, a leader in SUP innovation and race board design. She is not only a competitor, but also an ambassador for the sport she loves so much. She hopes to see Paddle Boarding and the positive attitude that goes along with it grow to it’s fullest within her home state and though out the world.
AWS operates under Municipality of Anchorage and Alaska State Parks permits. We are passionate about promoting practice of safe recreation on the water; All clients are required to utilize a leash and PFD (personal flotation device).